Variants, variations, or options are different names in different systems or platforms for the concept of different versions of the same product, such as sizes, colors, materials, and so on.
In the screenshot below, you can see how eBay.com currently displays the variant selection for a sports product:
Each variant typically has a name, a barcode, and a SKU code (aka Stock Keeping Unit). And may have a specific price and a photo.
Even using Nembol, moving products with variants from an e-commerce platform to another can be tricky, because different platforms calculate variants in different ways.
- You can import products with Variants from Shopify, Etsy, eBay, PrestaShop.
- Nembol does manage different SKU codes, barcodes, and prices per variant
- Nembol does not manage photos per variant at this time.
- You can export with Nembol products with variants on Shopify, eBay, PrestaShop, WooCommerce, Amazon, Storenvy, and Etsy.
Etsy has some limitations compared to the other channels, therefore you may experience problems and Etsy may return you one or more errors while you try to publish products with variants, either imported from some other channel, or created in Nembol.
Let's see the possible reasons of these errors and their solutions.
NOTE: if you experience an error during publishing with Nembol, you should when possible read the error text and try to understand it.
1. Etsy returns an error having to do with "Prices" or "Price consistency"
Etsy currently does not accept difference in price among options based on more than one variant, and only the second, when options are more than one.
Etsy is very firm on this. Therefore:
- If your products have more than one option ("Size" and "Colour" are two for instance), the best solution is that all resulting combinations have the same price
- If you have to change prices (for instance one option is material and one material is more expensive than another), you can change price strictly only on the second option.
- Duplicate in Nembol the product(s) you imported so that you can edit it/them
- Look in the variant table at the bottom of the product card in Nembol: you can either correct the prices or re-formulate the variant options putting as a second option the one which influences prices.
- Once the product is inside Etsy, you can manually edit prices once again to generate the prices you wish.
There are cases in which products with no variants still return an error. In this case please:
- Make sure there is no random variant in Nembol variant field
- If your product has only one variant, get rid of it and publish a single product (see screenshot below)
2. Product is not published and Etsy returns an error "All combinations of property values must be supplied"
- Duplicate in Nembol the product imported with missing combinations so that you can edit and integrate the missing combinations
- You can alternatively do the same in Shopify, but normally this is not possible because then options would need to be hidden.
And this is the product happily published in Etsy (this is just a test, such an industrial product cannot be sold on Etsy, we have a developer account)